Wednesday, January 16, 2013

2013 - the Year of "Discipline"

Have you noticed a theme to my last few posts?  Over the last few months, one idea has been on my mind more and more.  Discipline... exercising my will for the choices I should make instead of the ones I want to make in the immediate moment.
Image Source: http://www.awgp.org

I realize how much our days are influenced by my choices.  I also realize how easy it is to give in to procrastinating - it can always be done tomorrow, right?  The many bad patterns I am still working through after months of struggling with post-partum depression.  (which is infinitely better by the way, it's just time to kick the remnants that have taken up residence in my every day living to the curb!).
Image Source: http://marckornblog.com

But besides working on eradicating bad patterns, I am finding more and more the harmony that is present in my house when I exercise self-discipline and work to form good habits.  From something as simple as picking up little kids shoes and coats into the closet after we walk through the door instead of kicking the shoes onto the mat by the door and piling the coats on the washer/dryer.  Both actions take roughly the same amount of effort but the latter used to be my modus operandi.  The former leaves my room looking clean and neat and me feeling like my house (at least this small part) is in the correct order.  A small thing, yes, but so powerful!  To something less simple, like choosing to prioritize morning prayers and scripture reading ahead of computer time or housework.  It is easy to fool myself into thinking that time is too busy to sit down for 10 or 20 minutes... but I find the time to catch up on computer!  Again, harmony comes when I choose to make time in my day for God... everything seems to fall into place better.  It becomes a matter of making choices Self-discipline.
Image Source:  http://blog.zerodean.com

I want to set an example for my kids that acts of the will, choices we make, choices we DON'T make... are the things in this world that we can control.  That ultimately it is up to us how we choose to live and whether those choices will be for our good or not.  That the more care we take to be disciplined in our thoughts, in our actions, and in our deeds - the stronger we become!
Image Source: http://www.successories.com


1 comment :

Kortni said...

What a wonderfully written post! Again I would love to know your sources for your pictures!