Monday, June 24, 2013

Perspective

Life has been busy.  

Like crazy busy.  

And partially, just crazy (i.e. emotional roller coaster).

As in running around like a chicken with my head cut off crazy. 

As in starting to feel a bit sorry for myself ...

Then tragedy.

Another set of parents grieving for a child taken from them too soon.

An accident that has left three teenagers dead, a community grieving, and so many people asking "Why?"

My cousin Shelly and her husband Ray lost their only son late Friday night, early Saturday morning.  He just graduated from High School two weeks ago.
His death hits a little too close to home.  For me, for my parents, for my sister and her family.  It ripped off the scab of the wound from losing Jessica that was healing. 

I have heard it in my sister's voice all week.  That pain; that ache of missing her daughter; that monotone sound that told me that she is only working through each minute or each hour and not able to think much farther ahead; that flatness in her voice that masks the emotion she is trying so hard to hold in check for the sake of her other kids.  My heart aches for her as much as for Shelly and Ray.  She knows EXACTLY the pain they are feeling and can empathize all too well.

Perspective.  
The reminder that our life here is temporary, no matter how much we try to imagine otherwise.  

Perspective.  
The reminder that we are made to live in eternity.  
Am I living my life in that way? 
Am I raising my kids with that as their purpose?

Perspective.  
Suffering.  Christ gave us the supreme example of how to be the suffering servant.  We want so badly for our crosses to not involve suffering.  They rarely do.

Perspective.  
Grace.  The only way to survive this heartache is through the merciful grace of God that outpours as a result of the amount of prayers unleashed for the family.  I know this first hand.  I've experienced it in Jessica's death - still do.  
Please, please pray for my cousin's family.

Justin - 
May the choirs of Angels, come to greet you
May they lead you to paradise.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him.

May your soul, 
and all the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God,
Rest in Peace.

2 comments :

Kortni said...

So sorry to read all this....prayers for your family!

m e l said...

Oh man, Renee, so sorry to hear this. Such a tragedy. Prayers to his family and your family. I appreciate your words here. So true that this life is only temporary. There is so much peace for me in that knowledge.