Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday Potato Soup

It always amazes me at how hard it is to fast on Good Friday (or any day that you are purposely choosing to fast, for that matter).  On any given day I can go through it and eat very little and hardly think about it... but on days like today, food is the ONLY thing I can seem to think about!

This may be why my soup tasted so good to me, but I'd like to think that it was really good.  Especially considering I grew up HATING potato soup.  I mean seriously detesting the stuff.  I can remember sitting at the table for an hour or two after everyone else because I just couldn't force myself to eat the five bites required of me.  But, as I've got older, I have revisited foods that I previously detested and quite often find that they are actually quite palatable...

So, my soup:

.5 small onion, finely chopped
3 baked potatoes
1 can (14.5oz) chicken broth
1.5 cup whole milk
0.5 cup sour cream
1 can condensed cream of potato soup
1 handful shredded mozzarella cheese (guessing about .5 - 1 cup)
1 handful shredded cheddar cheese (again, about .5 - 1 cup)
1 tsp salt
pinch of pepper (I'm not overly fond of peppery stuff, so many people might prefer more)

In saucepan, saute the onion in butter until translucent.  Add all other ingredients and heat through over low to med-low heat.  Be careful not to scorch the milk/sour cream

Easy stuff!  But it sure was yummy!!

No comments :